54th Governor of Maine
- 6th Great-grandmother of Owen Brewster — 9th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- Death Location:
- Groton, New London, Connecticut
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Avery-Morgan Burial Ground, Groton, New London, Connecticut
- Spouse Name:
- James Morgan
- Marriage Date:
- 6 Aug 1640
- Marriage Location:
- Roxbury, Litchfield, Connecticut
John Morgan (Ahnentafel No:132 )
- According to Henry Porter Andrews on page 614 in "The Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, Connecticut, 1635-39 (published 1893), Margery is possibly a sister to Joseph Hill, a son of George. In 1908, Thomas Hills published "A supplementary record connecting with the Hills family in America" which lists on pages 26 and 27 the baptisms of George's children at Great Burstead. One baptism is for his daughter Martha on 16 JUN 1610. It is this baptism that everyone is using to link Margery to George. Whether or not Margery and Martha is one and the same, I have found nothing to either prove or disprove it. So until other evidence is found, I believe Margery's father is still officially unknown.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Margery Hill
- 1 Find A Grave, (accessed 11/23/2012).
- 2 NEHGS NEXUS: New England Across the United States, 1995, Vol. 12, p. 66.
- 3 New England Ancestors Magazine, 2007, Vol. 8.5, p. 39.
- 4 New Haven, CT: Families of Ancient New Haven, Vol. 7, p. 1549.
- 5 New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, 1908, Vol. 39, p. 209.
- 6 Brookfield, Henry Morgan, Twelve Generations in America, Rutland, Vermont: Tuttle Publishing Company (1937), 153.
- 7 Evans, Richard K., The Ancestry of Diana, Princes s of Wales, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2007), 217.
- 8 Jacobus, Donald Lines, Families of Ancient New Haven; originally published as New Haven Genealogical Magazine, (Online database. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2008), 1549.
- 9 Lester, J. William, The Lesters: A Brief History and Genealogy of the Lesters of Massachusetts and Connecticut Co lonies, Gary, Indiana: Calumet Press (1926), 19.
- 10 Morgan, Appleton, A History of the Family of Morgan, from the Year 1089 to Present Times, New York: For Subscibers only (1902), 105.
- 11 Morgan, Nathaniel H., Morgan Genealogy: A History of James Morgan, of New London, Conn., and His Descendants; Fro m 1607 to 1869, Hartford: Press of Case, Lockwood and Brainard (1869), 22-23.
- 12 Roberts, Eloise, M., Some Colonial Families: Avery, Brewster, Mills, Morgan, Smith, Starr, Stewart, Tracy, Avard, Oklahoma: Privately Printed (1926), 36.
- 13 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 1, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998), 222.
- 14 Roberts, Gary Boyd and William Addams Reitwiesner, American Ancestors and Cousins of The Princess of Wales, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (1984), 30.
- 15 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, 2009 Edition, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 573.
- 16 Wheeler, Richard Anson, History of the Town of Stonington, County of New London, Connecticut, From its First Settleme nt in 1649 to 1900, New London, Connecticut: Press of the Day Publishing Company (1900), 479.