Co-founder of General Mills and 11th Governor of Wisconsin
- 5th Great-grandmother of Cadwallader Washburn — 8th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Tobias Makin
- Katherine Westbrome
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1578
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- AFT 14 Jun 1643
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Edmund Sherman
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 1598
- Marriage Location:
Grace Sherman (Ahnentafel No:113 )
Some sources state that Grace Makin married John Sherman, first cousin once removed of Edmund Sherman. They claim that her sister Joan Makin married Edmund Sherman. This scenario has since been proven false. It has been shown that Joan could not possibly have been the wife of Edmund Sherman, and Grace, wife of John Sherman, was actually Grace Ravens. In the will of Tobia Makin, Jr., brother of Joan and Grace, he mentions his sister Grace Sherman which we know was not the wife of John Sherman. The baptismal record of Richard Sherman, son of Edmund Sherman, mentions his mother Joan Makin which apparently was in error and should have stated Grace Makin. This baptismal record appears to be the primary source of all the confusion.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Grace Makin
- 1 NEHGS NEXUS: New England Across the United States , 1995, Vol. 12, p. 66, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 New England Historical and Genealogical Register , (New England Historic and Genealogical Society ), 2014, Vol. 168, pp. 18-21.
- 3 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1945, Vol. 22, p. 209, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 4 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1986, Vol. 61, pp. 79-82, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 5 Anderson, Robert Charles , The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635, Vol. VI, R-S , Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009) , 284.
- 6 Frost, Josephine C. , Ancestors of Henry Ward Beecher and His Wife Eunice White Bullard , Unknown: Unknown (1927) , 93-94, 97, FamilySearch.org (Online Database).
- 7 Pope, Charles Henry, ed. , Paine Ancestry: The Family of Robert Treat Paine, Signer of the Declaration of Independence , Including Maternal Lines , Boston: Printed for the Family (1912) , 86.
- 8 Sherman, Thomas Townsend , Sherman Genealogy including Families of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk, England, Some Descendant s of the Immigrants . . . , New York: Tobias A. Wright, Printer and Publisher (1920) , 105, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 9 Thwing, Walter Eliot , The Livermore Family of America , Boston: W. B. Clarke Company (1902) , 5, Hathi Trust Digital Library.