Chairman & CEO, Berkshire Hathaway
- 4th Great-grandmother of Warren Buffett — 7th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Samuel Collamore
- Deborah Mitchell
- Birth Date:
- 7 Apr 1762
- Birth Location:
- Georgetown, Sagadahoc, Maine
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 3 Nov 1844
- Death Location:
- Topsham, Sagadahoc, Maine
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- William Mallett
- Marriage Date:
- 30 Mar 1783
- Marriage Location:
- Topsham, Sagadahoc, Maine
Rhoda A. Mallett (Ahnentafel No:63 )
In the Mayflower Descendant (Vol. 65, p. 75), Gary Boyd Roberts makes the claim that Deborah Collamore's mother was her father's second wife Eunice Dean. This in incorrect. Her mother was her father's first wife Deborah Mitchell. Her birth as recorded in the Georgetown Vital Records gives her birth date as 07 APR 1762 with “Sam'l and Deborah Colomore” listed as her parents. Also the marriage listing in the Georgetown Vital Records for her father's marriage to his second wife, given as “Shumuell and Eunice Deha (?), both of G., Feb. 17, 1763” shows that they were married ten months after Deborah was born. It appears the confusion with the identity of her mother is due to the marriage date being published in error as 1762 instead of 1763 in the Genealogy of the Descendants of Anthony Collamer of Scituate, Massachusetts, published in 1915 by Charles Hatch.
Richard Hall, of FamousKin.com, corrected this error in the Mayflower Descendant magazine (Vol. 67, p. 209).
In The Mayflower 500 book, Gary Boyd Roberts repeats his error that he made in the Mayflower Descendant magazine (Vol. 65, p. 75) regarding the identity of Deborah Collamore's mother. Then he compounds the error in the sources section by making the erroneous statement "plus correspondence from Richard Hall showing that the mother of Deborah Collamore was Samuel Collamore's second wife Eunice Dean, not Deborah Mitchell, his first." This is the opposite of the correspondence with Richard Hall which was published in MD67 (p. 209).
Here is the correction by Richard Hall as published in MD67:
Deborah (Collamore) Mallett at generation 6 was the daughter of Samuel and Deborah (Mitchell) Collamore, as noted by Hall on FamousKin.com. Mary Pelham Mill, ed., Vital Records of Georgetown, Maine to the Year 1892, 2 vols. (n.pl: Maine Historical Society, 1939-1941), which unfortunately does not include deaths, clearly states that Samuel "Colomore" of Topsham, Maine, and Deborah "Mitchel" of Georgetown declared intentions 12 November 1759, that "Shumuell Colemore" and "Eunice Deha(?)," both of Georgetown, were married 17 February 1763 (both marriages on 2:19); and that Deborah "Colomore," daughter of Samuel and Deborah, was born in Georgetown 7 April 1762 (1:32). Certainly, then, despite the bad spelling, Deborah (Collamore) Mallett was the daughter of Samuel Collamore by Deborah Mitchell, not Eunice Dean. Deborah Michel/Mitchell's birth is not recorded in Georgetown.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Deborah Collamore
- 1 Mayflower Descendant: A Journal of Pilgrim Genealogy and History , Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society , 2017, Vol. 65, No. 1, pp. 75-76.
- 2 The Maine Genealogist , 2003, Vol. 25, p. 93, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 3 Hatch, Charles , Genealogy of the Descendants of Anthony Collamer of Scituate, Massachusetts , Salem, Massachusetts: Newcomb and Gauss, Publishers (1915) , 81, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 4 Hill, Mary Pelham, ed. , Vital Records of Topsham, Maine, to the Year 1892, Vol. 1 - Births , Concord: Rumford Press (1929) , pp. 120-121, Birth records for children of William and Deborah Mallet, FamilySearch.org (Online Database).
- 5 Hill, Peter B. , Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Vol. 11, Part 1, Edward Doty , Plymouth, Massachusetts: General Society of Mayflower Descendants (2009) , 141.
- 6 Roberts, Gary Boyd , The Mayflower 500: Five Hundred Notable Descendants of the Founding Fa milies on the Mayflower , Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2020) , 459.
- 7 Trafford, E. M. , Vital Records of Georgetown, Maine , Boston: Research Publication Company (1903) , p. 7, Birth record for Deborah Colomore, Internet Archive (Digital Library).