39th U.S. President
- 4th Generation — Great-grandfather of Jimmy Carter
- Ahnentafel No:
- Wiley Carter
- Ann Ansley
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1829
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 24 Nov 1873
- Death Location:
- Warren County, Georgia
- Burial Date:
- 27 Nov 1873
- Burial Location:
- Oak Grove Cemetery, Americus, Sumter, Georgia
- Spouse Name:
- Mary Ann Diligent Seals
- Marriage Date:
- 5 Jan 1851
- Marriage Location:
- Warren County, Georgia
William Archibald "Billy" Carter (Ahnentafel No:4 )
Littleberry Carter was murdered at a carnival by his partner D. P. McCann over a dispute about receipts from a machine known as a Flying Jenny, a sort of small merry-go-round. His distraught wife died on the day of his burial.
Sources tend to disagree on the date of Littleberry Carter's death. The confusion comes from misreading articles in The Weekly Sumter Republican. An article appeared in the December 5th edition mentioning that Littleberry's widow died just hours after his burial which occured the previous week on November 27. The November 28th issue of that newspaper (prepared the night before on November 27) mentioned the news of Littleberry's death which they just heard about at 9pm. As a result, many sources assume that his death occurred on November 27 or 28. However it was his burial that had just occurred on November 27. Also on page 3 of the December 5th edition is a proclamation from the governor mentioning a reward for the capture of Littleberry's murderer, D. P. McCann. The proclamation gives the murder date as November 24. This would be about nine days after he was wounded on November 15 and three days before his burial.
Littleberry Walker Carter
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Littleberry Walker Carter
- 1 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System , Ancestor #A002852.
- 2 Find A Grave , (accessed 06/07/2014).
- 3 Georgia, County Marriages, 1785-1950 , Marriage record for Littleberry W Carter and Mary Ann D Seals, FamilySearch.org (Online Database).
- 4 The Weekly Sumter Republican (Americus, Georgia) , 05 DEC 1873, pp. 3-4, South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive.
- 5 The Weekly Sumter Republican (Americus, Georgia) , 28 NOV 1873, p. 3, South Georgia Historic Newspapers Archive.
- 6 Brogan, Hugh and Charles Mosley , American P residential Families , New York: Macmillan Publishing Company (1993) , 725, 727.
- 7 Godbold, E. Stanly , Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter: The Georgia Years, 1924-1974 , New York: Oxford University Press (2010) , 4-5, 59, 61-62, 70, 84.
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd , The Royal Descents of 600 Immig rants to the American Colonies or the United States , Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008) , 874, 882.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp. , Ancestor s of American Presidents , Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009) , 165, 491.