Wild Bill Hickok
Gunfighter and Lawman
- 3rd Great-grandfather of Wild Bill Hickok — 6th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Josiah Root
- Susanna -----
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1645
- Birth Location:
- Beverly, Essex, Massachusetts
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 25 May 1723
- Death Location:
- Woodbury, Litchfield, Connecticut
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Dorcas Abbott
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 1677
- Marriage Location:
Bethia Root (Ahnentafel No:17 )
- This John Root is often confused with the John Root who married Mary Ashley of Springfield, Massachusetts. John is believed to be the son of Josiah Root of Salem, Massachusetts.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for John Root
- 1 Fairfield, CT: Families of Old Fairfield, Vol. 1, p. 5.
- 2 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 1999, Vol. 32, p. 196.
- 3 Eardeley, William Applebie, Chronology and Ancestry of Chauncey M. Depew: with Fifty-four other Affiliated Families of Ne w York, New Jersey and . . ., New York: Unknown (1918), 92.
- 4 Hickok, Charles Nelson, The Hickok Genealogy: Descendants of William Hickoks of Farmington, Connecticut with Ancestr y of Charles Nelson Hickok, Rutland, Vermont: Tuttle Publishing Co. (1938), 35.
- 5 Jacobus, Donald Lines, comp., History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield, Vol. 1, Baltimore: Reprinted for Clearfield Company (2007, originally published 1930-1932), 505.
- 6 Kilbourne, Payne Kenyon, The History and Antiquities of the Name and Family of Kilbourn, (in its varied orthography.), New Haven: Durrie and Peck (1856), 42.
- 7 Root, James Pierce, Root Genealogical Records, 1600-1870: Comprising the General History of the Root and Roots Fa milies in America, New York: R.C. Root, Anthony and Co. (1870), 52-54.
- 8 White, Lorraine Cook, ed., Connecticut, U.S., Town Marriage Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection), originally published as The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records, Vol. 1-55, Woodbury, Page 91, Death record for John Root.