27th Governor of Massachusetts
- 4th Great-grandmother of William Claflin — 7th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- James Penniman
- Lydia Eliot
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- 22 Feb 1634/1635
- Christening Location:
- Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
- Death Date:
- 3 Mar 1675/1676
- Death Location:
- Medfield, Norfolk, Massachusetts
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Edward Adams
- Marriage Date:
- BEF 1653
- Marriage Location:
Elisha Adams (Ahnentafel No:48 )
Lydia Penniman's maiden name is sometimes incorrectly given as Rockwood or Rockett. No evidence has been found to support claims that she is the daughter of Richard Rockwood. The only evidence of Lydia's maiden name being Rockwood is that two children of Nicholas Rockwood chose her husband Edward Adams as their guardian. (See Robert Charles Anderson's The Great Migration Begins 3:1420-1430)
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Lydia Penniman
- 1 Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1620-1850, Medfield, Vol. 1, p. 11, Birth record for son Jonathan Adams.
- 2 Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1620-1850, Medfield, Vol. 1, p. 190, Death record for Lidia Adams.
- 3 New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1903, Vol. 57, p. 51.
- 4 New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1924, Vol. 78, p. 437, gives Lydia's maiden name as Rockwood.
- 5 The American Genealogist, 1977, Vol. 53, p. 18.
- 6 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol. 3, P-W, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1995), 1429-1430.
- 7 Linzee, John William, The History of Peter Parker and Sarah Ruggles of Roxbury, Mass. and Their Ancestors and Descendants, Boston: Privately Printed (1913), 329, gives Lydia's maiden name as Rockwood.
- 8 Whittemore, Henry, History of the Adams Family with Biographical Sketches of Distinguished Descendants . . ., New York: Willis McDonald and Co., Publishers (1893), 7.
- 9 Wight, Charles Henry, Genealogy of the Claflin Family: Being a Record of Robert Mackclothlan, of Wenham, Mass. and . . ., New York: Press of William Green (1898), 81, gives Lydia's maiden name as Rockwood.
- 10 Williams, Alicia Crane, Chase-Wigglesworth Genealogy: The Ancestors and Descendants of Philip Putnam Chase and His Wife . . ., Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, Inc. (1990), 168.