Author of The Red Badge of Courage
- 5th Generation — 2nd Great-grandfather of Stephen Crane
- Ahnentafel No:
- Daniel Crane
- Hannah (or Susannah) Miller
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Elizabethtown, Essex, New Jersey
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 1 Jul 1780
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- First Presbyterian Churchyard, Elizabeth, Union, New Jersey
- Spouse Name:
- Phebe -----
- Marriage Date:
- BEF 1735
- Marriage Location:
Joseph Crane (Ahnentafel No:8 )
Some sources claim Stephen Crane died on 23 JUN 1780, the date of the Battle of Springfield. Other sources claim he died a week later of wounds received at the hands of the British and his tombstone agrees with those claims as it shows his date of death as 01 JUL 1780.
The story that agrees with the date on the tombstone is that Stephen Crane was captured by the British as they passed through Elizabethtown on their way to Springfield. During the march they brutally pronged him with their bayonets causing the wounds from which he died one week later.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Stephen Crane
- 1 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System , Ancestor #A027481.
- 2 Find A Grave , (accessed 02/21/2014).
- 3 Stephen Crane Studies , Blacksburg, Virginia: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University , 1995, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 8-10.
- 4 Crane, Ellery Bicknell , Genealogy of the Crane Family, Vol. II , Worcester, Massachusetts: Press of Charles Hamilton (1900) , 471, 473, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 5 Lee, Francis Bazley , Genealogical and Memorial History of the State of New Jersey, Vol. I , New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company (1910) , 21-23, Google Books (Digital Library).