Signer of the Declaration of Independence
- 2nd Great-grandfather of William Floyd — 5th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- from 05 MAR 1691/1692 to 02 MAY 1693
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Sarah -----
- Marriage Date:
- Marriage Location:
Jonathan Smith (Ahnentafel No:12 )
There is a tradition that Richard “Bull” Smith received his nickname after making a bargain with the Indians for his land. He is said to have made a deal for all the land that he could ride around on his trained bull in a day. He set out at sunrise, dashed through swamps and over hill and dale, and by sunset had gone around the town that now bears his name.
Richard "Bull" Smith
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Richard "Bull" Smith
- 1 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1936, Vol. 13, p. 157, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Harrison, John Houston , Settlers by the Long Grey Trail: Some Pioneers to Old Augusta County, Virginia, and Their Des cendants . . . , Dayton, Virginia: Joseph K. Ruebush Company (1935) , 37, Heritage Quest (Digital Library).
- 3 Pelletreau, William S., et. al. , Records of the Town of Smithtown, Long Island, N.Y., with Other Ancient Documents of Histori c Value , Huntington, NY: Long-Islander Print (1898) , xvi, 34-36, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 4 Seversmith, Herbert Furman , Colonial Families of Long Island, New York and Connecticut , Washington, D.C.: typed manuscript (1939) , Vol. 1, p. 364, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 5 Smith, Frederick Kinsman , The Family of Richard Smith of Smithtown, Long Island: Ten Generations , Smithtown, Long Island, New York: The Smithtown Historical Society (1967) , 3-30, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 6 Thompson, Benjamin F. , The History of Long Island; from Its Discovery and Settlement, to the Present Time, Vol. 2 , New York: Gould, Banks and Co. (1843) , 452, Google Books (Digital Library).