- 12th Generation — 9th Great-grandfather of Anderson Cooper
- Ahnentafel No:
- James Williams
- Alice Pemberton
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1606
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- from 27 JAN 1682/1683 to 15 MAR 1682/1683
- Death Location:
- Providence, Providence Co., Rhode Island
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Mary Bernard
- Marriage Date:
- 15 Dec 1629
- Marriage Location:
- High Laver, Essex, England
- Mary Williams
1631 Passenger on the Lyon
Founder of Providence, Rhode Island
Some sources state that Roger Williams died on 01 APR 1683, but this isn't possible if his will was proved on 15 MAR 1682/83.
Sources also say that Roger Williams's remains were re-buried under a monument in Prospect Terrace Park in Providence, Rhode Island, but apparently all that was put there was some dirt that was believed to be from his original grave. His body has never been found.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Roger Williams
- 1 Lineages of Members of the National Society of Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims, Vol. III, p. 325, Image 337 of 1047, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 2 Representative Men and Old Families of Rhode Island, Vol. 3, Chicago: J. H. Beers and Co. (1908), 1574, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 3 The American Genealogist, New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online), 1960, Vol. 36, p 86, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 4 The Narragansett Historical Register, Providence, Rhode Island: Rhode Island Citizens Historical Associations, 1889, Vol. 7, Page 18, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- 5 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol. 3, P-W, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1995), 2007-2010.
- 6 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635, Vol. V, M-P, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2007), 308.
- 7 Carpenter, Daniel Hoogland, History and Genealogy of the Carpenter Family in America: From the Settlement at Providence, R.I. 1637-1901, Jamaica, New York: The Marion Press (1901), 319, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 8 Jacobus, Donald Lines and Edgar Francis Waterman, The Waterman Family: Vol. III, Descendants of Richard Waterman of Providence, Rhode Island, Hartford, Connecticut: The Connecticut Historical Society (1954), 10, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 1, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998), 215.
- 10 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 2, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1999), 103.
- 11 Tillinghast, Rose C., The Tillinghast Family 1560-1971, Unknown: Unknown (1972), 12, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 12 Weld, Hattie Borden, comp., Historical and Genealogical Record of the Descendants as far as Known of Richard and Joan Borden . . ., (1899), 143, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 13 Wikipedia, "Roger Williams (theologian)", (accessed 02/01/2012).
- 14 Wilson, Lelia Morse, Ten Generations from William and Mary Dyer, Pioneer Settlers in Newport, Rhode Island, Putnam, Connecticut: Case, Lockwood and Brainard (1949), 5, Heritage Quest (Digital Library).