1st U.S. President
- 2nd Great-grandfather of George Washington — 5th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- 28 Sep 1611
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 24 Dec 1674
- Death Location:
- Warner Hall, Gloucester Co., Virginia
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Mary Townley
- Marriage Date:
- BEF 13 May 1638
- Marriage Location:
Augustine Warner (Ahnentafel No:10 )
There are many family trees on the web where the argument is made that the parents of Augustine were Thomas Warner of Hoveton and Norwich, England, and his wife Elizabeth Sotherton. Those that cite a source, cite an article by Mary McCurdy in The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 81, No. 3 (July 1973) as the source of this information. In that article, Mrs. McCurdy states that she has no clue as to the parents of Augustine. Lacking anyone else, she picked Thomas and Elizabeth as good possibilities because they were in the right location at the right time. But she has no evidence to confirm it. She herself states "I have accordingly been looking at the most obvious sources to see if any Norfolk sources have a clue to his parentage, but I find none, though there is ... [a] family of Norwich, which I should much like him to come from." She then goes on to publish ancestor charts for both Thomas Warner and Elizabeth Sotherton with Augustine in them but uses a dotted line for the connection.
View famous kin of Augustine Warner
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Augustine Warner
- 1 Dorman, John Frederick, Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5, 4th ed., Vol. 2, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2005), 510.
- 2 McCurdy, Mary Burton Derrickson, "The Townleys and Warners of Virginia and Their English Connections", The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 81, No. 3 (Jul 1973), 341.
- 3 Online Website, Warner Hall Colonial Family Cemetery, (accessed 03/21/2010).
- 4 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 1, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998), 2.
- 5 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States (2 vols.), Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008), 416.
- 6 Watson, Annah Robinson, Of Sceptred Race, Memphis, TN: Early Printing and Publishing Company (1910), 81-82.
- 7 Wikipedia, "Augustine Warner", (accessed 02/21/2010).