59th Governor of Massachusetts
- 10th Generation — 7th Great-grandmother of Christian Herter
- Ahnentafel No:
- Obadiah Bruen
- Sarah -----
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- 12 Jun 1634
- Christening Location:
- St. Julians, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England
- Death Date:
- 2 Sep 1670
- Death Location:
- Milford, New Haven, Connecticut
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- John Baldwin
- Marriage Date:
- Nov 1653
- Marriage Location:
- Hannah Baldwin
Early sources state that Mary Bruen came to America with her half-brother Obadiah and that she was the daughter of John Bruen of Cheshire, England. More recent sources show that Obadiah was her father, not her half-brother, and John was her grandfather, not her father. However there was a Mary Bruen, half-sister to Obadiah Bruen, but she is said to have died young according to her father's funeral certificate.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Mary Bruen
- 1 Abbott, Susan Woodruff, Families of Early Milford, Connecticut, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co. (1979), 14-15, 17, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 2 Baldwin, Charles Candee, The Baldwin Genealogy, From 1500 to 1881, Cleveland, Ohio: Leader Printing Company (1881), 299-300, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 3 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 1995, Vol. 28, p. 594, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 4 Cutter, William Richard, American Biography: A New Cyclopedia, Vol. 6, New York: The American Historical Society, Inc. (1919), 202, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 5 Jacobus, Donald Lines, ed., The Ancestry of Lorenzo Ackley and his Wife Emma Arabella Bosworth, Woodstock, Vermont: N. Grier Parke, II (1960), 172, 247-250, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 6 Pierce, Frederick Clifton, Fiske and Fisk Family: Being the Record of the Descendants of Symond Fiske, Lord of the Manor of Stadhaugh, . . ., Chicago, Illinois: Press of W. B. Conkey Company (1896), 75, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, "#77 Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources: An Assortment of Famous Actors", (accessed 10/02/2014), New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 1, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998), 58.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 2, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1999), 69, 117.
- 10 Weis, Frederick Lewis, et. al., Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, 8th Edition, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2004), 42.