68th U.S. Secretary of State
- 9th Great-grandmother of John Kerry — 12th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Henry Briggs
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- 25 Oct 1600
- Christening Location:
- St. James Clerkenwell, London, England
- Death Date:
- 8 Feb 1673
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Thomas Cornell
- Marriage Date:
- BEF 1623
- Marriage Location:
Rebecca Cornell (Ahnentafel No:1575 )
On the day that Rebecca Briggs died, she is said to have been sitting by the fire smoking a pipe when a coal appears to have fallen from the fire or her pipe. She was burned to death in the resulting fire. Her brother John Briggs claimed to have had a vision in which she appeared to him and said, “See how I was burned with fire.” The inference was that someone set fire to her and subsequently her son Thomas was tried and convicted on this evidence.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Rebecca Briggs
- 1 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1982, Vol. 58, p. 78, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1959, Vol. 35, p. 107, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 3 Anderson, Robert Charles and others , The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635, Vol. I, A-B< /a> , Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1999) , 44.
- 4 Brenneman, Richard E. , "Notable Kin - New England in Hollywood, Part Three: The Possible Rhode Island Ancestry of Ma rilyn Monroe" , www.americanancestors.org/notable-kin-the-possible-rhode-island-ancestry-of-marilyn-monroe , (accessed 10/09/2014), New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 5 Carter, Jeff , Ancestors of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter , Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland and Company, Inc. (2012) , 53-54.
- 6 Cornell, Rev. John , Genealogy of the Cornell Family: Being an Account of the Descendants of Thomas Cornell of Por tsmouth, R.I. , New York: Press of T.A. Wright (1902) , 17-24, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 7 Cornell, Thomas C. , Adam and Anne Mott: Their Ancestors and Their Descendants , Poughkeepsie, New York: A.V. Haight, Printer (1890) , 330, 334, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 8 De Rapaljé, Joris Janssen , Historic Families of America: William Almy, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, 1630 , Chicago: Published by Charles Kingsbury Miller (1897) , 17, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 9 Quinby, Henry Cole , Genealogical History of the Quinby (Quimby) Family In England and America , Rutland, Vermont: The Tuttle Company (1915) , 120, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 10 Roberts, Gary Boyd , Notable Ki n, Volume 1 , Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998) , 147.