- 6th Generation — 3rd Great-grandfather of Paget Brewster
- Ahnentafel No:
- Alfred Mitchell
- Lucretia Mumford Woodbridge
- Birth Date:
- 12 Apr 1822
- Birth Location:
- Norwich, New London, Connecticut
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 15 Dec 1908
- Death Location:
- New Haven, New Haven Co., Connecticut
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Mary Frances Pringle
- Marriage Date:
- 31 May 1853
- Marriage Location:
- Mary Pringle Mitchell
Donald Grant Mitchell was an American essayist and novelist who often wrote under the pen name Ik Marvel.
Notable work: Reveries of Bachelorhood
In 1895, Donald Grant Mitchell prepared a chart for his daughter Mary that showed their descent through Sir Richard Saltonstall to King Edward III. Within a few days, he regretted having created the chart and penned a letter on 06 JAN 1896 to his daughter that stated, "I don't know if you have received a letter I wrote to you some ten days ago; but write again to say that I shall be very much mortified and 'put out' if you give any 'forward' place to the 'pedigree' which I sent. Put this out of sight, and some time I will make a nicer one going back only to colonial times, which can be boasted of without vulgar braggadocio! It was only to amuse you for the Christmas season that I prepared it. I have laughed , ever since I could laugh sardonically at anything, at the vulgar pretention of those who make a boast, or a show of such 'tagging' at royalty, or its shadows, and should be dreadfully mortified at your calling any special attention to that 'grim-crack' of a pedigree."
Donald Grant Mitchell
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Donald Grant Mitchell
- 1 Norwich CT: Vital Records of Norwich, 1659-1848, Vol. 2, p. 749, Birth record for Donald Grant Mitchell, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Oakland Tribune (Oakland, California), 11 APR 1939, p. 20, "Once a Bachelor", Newspapers.com (Digital Library), www.newspapers.com.
- 3 Dunn, Waldo H., The Life of Donald G. Mitchell: Ik Marvel, New York: Charles Scribner's Sons (1922), Google Books (Digital Library).
- 4 Learned, William Law, comp., The Learned Family (Learned, Larned, Learnard, Larnard and Lerned) Being Descendants of William Learned . . . 2nd Ed., Albany: Weed-Parsons Printing Company, Printers (1898), 202, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 5 Mitchell, Donald Grant, The Woodbridge Record: Being an Account of the Descendants of the Rev. John Woodbridge . . ., New Haven: Tuttle, Morehouse and Taylor, Printers (1883), 158, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 6 Ryerson, Albert Winslow, The Ryerson Genealogy: Genealogy and History of the Knickerbocker Families of Ryerson, Ryerse, Ryerss . . ., Chicago: Privately printed for Edward L. Ryerson (1916), 158, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 7 Wikipedia, "Donald Grant Mitchell", (accessed 07/01/2016).