23rd U.S. President
- 4th Generation — Great-grandfather of Benjamin Harrison
- Ahnentafel No:
- Timothy Symmes Jr.
- Mary Cleves
- Birth Date:
- 21 Jul 1742
- Birth Location:
- Riverhead, Long Island, Suffolk, New York
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 26 Feb 1814
- Death Location:
- Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Congress Green Cemetery, North Bend, Hamilton, Ohio
- Spouse Name:
- Anna Tuthill
- Marriage Date:
- 30 Oct 1760
- Marriage Location:
- Anna Tuthill Symmes
John Cleves Symmes
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for John Cleves Symmes
- 1 Colonial Collegians, Harvard, p. 4013, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A104042.
- 3 Find A Grave, (accessed 11/15/2014).
- 4 New England Historical and Genealogical Register, (New England Historic and Genealogical Society), 1892, Vol. 46, p. 188.
- 5 Anonymous (Macbride, James), Symmes's Theory of Concentric Spheres: Demonstrating that the Earth is Hollow, Habitable Within and Widely Open . . ., Cincinnati: Morgan, Lodge and Fisher (1826), 157, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 6 Brogan, Hugh and Charles Mosley, American Presidential Families, New York: Macmillan Publishing Company (1993), 535.
- 7 Hardy, Stella Pickett, Colonial Families of the Southern States of America: A History and Genealogy of Colonial Families Who Settled . . ., New York: Tobias A. Wright (1911), 285.
- 8 Pelletreau, William S., A History of Long Island: From its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vol. 2, New York and Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company (1905), 407, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008), 549.
- 10 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 538, 581.