23rd U.S. President
- 3rd Great-grandmother of Benjamin Harrison — 6th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Lewis Burwell Jr.
- Abigail Smith
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1675
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 7 Oct 1727
- Death Location:
- prob. Eltham, New Kent, Virginia
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- William Bassett III
- Marriage Date:
- 23 Nov 1693
- Marriage Location:
- prob. Carter's Creek, Gloucester Co., Virginia
William Bassett IV (Ahnentafel No:18 )
Della Gray Barthelmas, in her book The Signers of the Declaration of Independence mistakenly identifies Joanna Burwell as the mother of Elizabeth Bassett, who in turn was the wife of Benjamin Harrison V, the signer of the Declaration of Independence. She was in fact the maternal grandmother of Elizabeth Bassett.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Joanna Burwell
- 1 Barthelmas, Della Gray , The Signers of the Declaration of Independence: A Biographical and Genealogical Reference , Jefferson, N.C. and London: McFarland and Company, Inc., Publishers (1997) , 34, 105-106.
- 2 Brogan, Hugh and Charles Mosley , American P residential Families , New York: Macmillan Publishing Company (1993) , 345.
- 3 Dorman, John Frederick , Adventurers of Purse and Person , Virginia, 1607-1624/5, 4th ed., Vol. 1 , Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2004) , 434.
- 4 Hardy, Stella Pickett , Colonial Families of the Southern States of America: A History and Genealogy of Colonial Fami lies Who Settled . . . , New York: Tobias A. Wright (1911) , 43.
- 5 Keith, Charles P. , The Ancestry of Benjamin Harrison, President of the United States of America 1889-1893 . . . , Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Company (1893) , 36, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 6 Roberts, Gary Boyd , The Royal Descents of 600 Immig rants to the American Colonies or the United States , Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008) , 842.
- 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp. , Ancestor s of American Presidents , Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009) , 468.