Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Grandfather of Meriwether Lewis — 3rd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- John Lewis Jr.
- Elizabeth Warner
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- May 1704
- Christening Location:
- Abingdon Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia
- Death Date:
- from 21 Dec 1765 to 30 Sep 1766
- Death Location:
- prob. Albemarle County, Virginia
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Jane Meriwether
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 1725
- Marriage Location:
William Lewis (Ahnentafel No:2 )
- In the book "Albemarle County in Virginia" by Edgar Woods (Bridgewater, VA: Bookman, 1932), the father of Col. Robert Lewis is said to be another Robert Lewis who was a Welshman and an officer in the British army who arrived in America in 1635. This account was repeated in Stephen Ambrose's book "Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1996) using Edgar Woods' book as the source. Most other sources, including some older than Woods's book and others newer than Ambrose's book, state that Colonel John Lewis was Robert Lewis's father.
Additional marriages for Robert Lewis
- Elizabeth Thornton
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Robert Lewis
- 1 NEHGS NEXUS: New England Across the United States, 1987, Vol. 4, p. 26.
- 2 Crawford, Robert Leighton, Laurus Crawfurdiana: Memorials of that Branch of the Crawford Family Which Comprises the Desc endants of John . . ., New York: Edward O. Jenkins, Printer (1883), 18.
- 3 Davis, Lottie Wright, Records of Lewis, Meriwether and Kindred Families; Genealogical Records of Minor, Davis , . . ., Columbia, MO: Artcraft Press (1951), 18, 50, 159.
- 4 Dorman, John Frederick, Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5, 4th ed., Vol. 2, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2005), 519, 557-559.
- 5 McAllister, John Meriwether, ed. and Lura Boulton Tandy, Genealogies of the Lewis and Kindred Families, Columbia, Missouri: E. W. Stephens Publishing Company (1906), 24-25, 40.
- 6 Sorley, Merrow Egerton, Lewis of Warner Hall: The History of a Family, including the Genealogy of Descendants in Bot h the Male and . . ., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (2000, orig. 1935), 58-59.
- 7 Stephens, Lucinda Frances Hammack, Crawford Genealogy: "sine labe nota", Macon, Ga: J. W. Burke Company (1936), 10.
- 8 Tyler, Lyon G., ed., William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine, Vol. 11, Richmond, VA: Whittet & Shepperson (1903), 43.