Leader of the Loomis Gang
- 1st Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- George Washington Loomis
- Rhoda Marie Mallet
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1823
- Birth Location:
- New York
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 30 Oct 1865
- Death Location:
- Sangerfield, Oneida, New York
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
Leader of the notorious Loomis Gang of the Nine Mile Swamp
The Loomis Gang was a family of outlaws who lived and operated in New York during the early 1800s.
Wash Loomis met his end when he was murdered at his home in 1865 by masked avengers. It was said that the back of his head was smashed in and his face so disfigured that he was unrecognizable.
George Washington "Wash" Loomis
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for George Washington "Wash" Loomis
- 1 Federal Census , NY, Oneida County, 1860, Sangerfield, p. 38, Image 6 of 59, Ancestry.com (Online Census Images).
- 2 Carmer, Carl , Listen for a Lonesome Drum: A York State Chronicle , Syracuse, New York: Syracuse University Press (1978) , 271-280.
- 3 Loomis, Elisha S. , Descendants of Joseph Loomis in America: And His Antecedents in the Old World , Berea, Ohio: unknown (1909) , 298, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 4 Wikipedia , "Loomis Gang" , (accessed 12/02/2015).