Henry A. Wallace
33rd U.S. Vice-President
- 3rd Great-grandmother of Henry A. Wallace — 6th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- (probable) Isaac Williams
- (probable) Elizabeth Sabin
- Birth Date:
- 16 Jan 1742/1743
- Birth Location:
- Woodstock, Windham, Connecticut
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 27 Nov 1828
- Death Location:
- Putnam, Zanesville, Muskingum, Ohio
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Woodlawn Cemetery, Zanesville, Muskingum, Ohio
- Spouse Name:
- John Leavens
- Marriage Date:
- 25 Mar 1762
- Marriage Location:
- Killingly, Windham, Connecticut
Matilda Leavens (Ahnentafel No:29 )
There appears to be some disagreement among published sources as to Esther's birthdate and parentage. Her tombstone gives 27 JAN 1744 as her birthdate and says she was born in Pomfret, Connecticut. The one published source that agrees with this date is the Leavens genealogy by Philo Leavens (1903: p. 42) although it give her birth location as Killingly. This genealogy also gives her father's name as Thompson Williams. The D.A.R. gives her birth as 25 MAY 1740 in Pomfret, Connecticut. Vital records have not been found to support any of these conclusions and tombstones are notorious for having incorrect dates.
Other published sources state that Esther was the daughter of Isaac Williams and Elizabeth Sabin. There is a birth record in the Woodstock, Connecticut, vital records for Esther Williams born 16 JAN 1742/3, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Williams. Unless other records are found to disprove this, the most likely scenario is that Esther Williams is the daughter of Isaac Williams and Elizabeth Sabin.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Esther Williams
- 1 Connecticut: Vital Records (The Barbour Collection), 1630-1870, Killingly, p. 108, Marriage record for John Leavens and Esther Williams.
- 2 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A068175.
- 3 Gravestone image at FindAGrave.com, (accessed 03/01/2016).
- 4 Woodstock, CT: Vital Records, 1686-1854, Birth record for Esther Williams.
- 5 Leavens, Philo French, The Leavens Name Including Levings: An Account of the Posterity Descending from Emigrant John Levins, 1632-1903, Passaic, New Jersey: Passaic Daily News Print, 47-48.
- 6 Roberts, Gary Boyd and William Addams Reitwiesner, American Ancestors and Cousins of The Princess of Wales, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (1984), 69.