Movie, Television and Stage Actor
- 5th Generation — 2nd Great-grandfather of Benedict Cumberbatch
- Ahnentafel No:
- Thomas Rees
- Mary Bowen
- Birth Date:
- 16 Jun 1826
- Birth Location:
- St. Clears, Carmarthenshire, Wales
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 30 Dec 1899
- Death Location:
- Boudjah, Turkey
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Buca Anglican Cemetery, Smyrna (now İzmir), Turkey
- Spouse Name:
- Ida Josephine Langdon
- Marriage Date:
- 30 Apr 1856
- Marriage Location:
- British Consul General's Office, Smyrna (now İzmir), Turkey
- Hélène Gertrude Rees
Thomas Bowen Rees's grandson Robert Cecil Cumberbatch gave Thomas's birth date as 15 JUN 1826 on his membership application to the Sons of the American Revolution. However, his tombstone gives it as 16 JUN 1826. The tombstone also lists his place of death as Boudjah.
Manager of the Asia Minor Cotton Company
Thomas Bowen Rees
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Thomas Bowen Rees
- 1 Birth Registration for Helen Gertrude Rees, Reg. District: Birkenhead, 1869, Vol. 08A, p. 483, General Register Office, www.gro.gov.uk.
- 2 Find A Grave, (accessed 09/16/2017).
- 3 GRO Consular Death Indices (1849 to 1965), Death record for Thomas Bowen Rees, findmypast.com.
- 4 GRO Consular Marriages (1849-1965), Marriage record for Thomas Bowin [sic] Rees and Ida Josephine Langdon, findmypast.com.
- 5 Marriage registration for Henry Alfred Cumberbatch and Hélène Gertrude Rees, Consular Marriages: 1891, Smyrna, Turkey, General Register Office, www.gro.gov.uk.
- 6 Marriage registration for Thomas Bowen Rees and Ida Josephine Langdon, Consular Marriages: 1856, Smyrna, Turkey, General Register Office, www.gro.gov.uk.
- 7 Mayflower Descendant: A Journal of Pilgrim Genealogy and History, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2018, Vol. 66, No. 1, p. 52.
- 8 U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, SAR #85245, Application for Robert Cecil Cumberbatch, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 9 Who's Who: An Annual Biographical Dictionary, London: Adam and Charles Black; New York: The Macmillan Company (1907), 424, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 10 Rees, Tom, Merchant Adventurers in the Levant: Two Families of Privateers, Consuls and Traders 1700-1956, Stawell, Somerset: Talbot Publishing (2003), 110-121.