Movie, Television and Stage Actor
- 6th Generation — 3rd Great-grandfather of Benedict Cumberbatch
- Ahnentafel No:
- John Walley Langdon
- Rebecca Cordis
- Birth Date:
- 13 Aug 1799
- Birth Location:
- Charlestown (now Boston), Suffolk, Massachusetts
- Christening Date:
- 15 Sep 1799
- Christening Location:
- First Church, Charlestown (now Boston), Suffolk, Massachusetts
- Death Date:
- 3 Nov 1870
- Death Location:
- Smyrna (now İzmir), Turkey
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Louisa Christine Gout
- Marriage Date:
- 28 Oct 1830
- Marriage Location:
- British Chapel (All Saints), Boudjah, Turkey
- Ida Josephine Langdon
The Charlestown, Massachusetts vital records give Joseph Landon's birth as 31 AUG 1799. However, Joseph Langdon's son James Davee Langdon gave his father's birth date as 13 AUG 1799 on his membership application to the Sons of the American Revolution (Nat'l #18065). A note on the application states that the birth of Joseph Langdon came from a family bible that also included the marriage of Joseph's father John Walley Langdon.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Joseph Langdon
- 1 British Overseas Marriages, Marriage record for Joseph Langdon and Louise Christine Gout, findmypast.com.
- 2 Marriage registration for Thomas Bowen Rees and Ida Josephine Langdon, 1856, Consular Marriages: Smyrna, Turkey, General Register Office, www.gro.gov.uk.
- 3 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Charlestown, Vol. 2, p. 108, Birth record for Joseph Langdon.
- 4 Mayflower Descendant: A Journal of Pilgrim Genealogy and History, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2018, Vol. 66, No. 1, p. 52.
- 5 U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, SAR #85245, Application for Robert Cecil Cumberbatch, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 6 U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970, SAR #18065, Application for James Davee Langdon, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 7 Harvard College Fine Arts Library Collections, "A Boston merchant-adventurer and his illustrated souvenir of the Smyrna trade, ca. 1838", (accessed 07/05/2017).
- 8 Hunnewell, James F., A Century of Town Life: A History of Charlestown, Massachusetts, 1775-1887, Boston: Little, Brown, and Company (1888), p. 215, Baptism record for Joseph Langdon, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- 9 Kneeland, Stillman Foster, Seven Centuries in the Kneeland Family, New York: Published by the Author (1897), 108, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 10 Rees, Tom, Merchant Adventurers in the Levant: Two Families of Privateers, Consuls and Traders 1700-1956, Stawell, Somerset: Talbot Publishing (2003), 114-116.