40th Governor of Virginia
- 5th Great-grandfather of Fitzhugh Lee — 8th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Adam Bland
- Joan Atkins
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- 28 Sep 1572
- Christening Location:
- St. Gregory by St. Paul, London, England
- Death Date:
- from 24 Sep 1627 to 20 Apr 1632
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- St. Antholin's Parish Church, Budge Row, London, England
- Spouse Name:
- Susan Deblere
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 1606
- Marriage Location:
Theoderick Bland (Ahnentafel No:68 )
Some sources state that John Bland who was married to Mary Emperour was the same John Bland, a London merchant, who was the investor in the Virginia Company. The will of Mary's father Francis Emperour seems to disprove this as his will was written in 1654 where he mentions his daughter Mary, wife of John Bland. John Bland signs the will as a witness so he is clearly living in 1654.
The will of John Bland, the Virginia Company investor, was proved 20 APR 1632 and states that his wife was Susan Deblere, daughter of Mary Deblere. So John Bland the Virginia Company investor died over two decades before Francis Emperour made his will and could not have been married to his daughter in 1654. More research is needed regarding if and how John Bland, husband of Mary Emperour, fits into the Bland family.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for John Bland
- 1 London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, Baptism for John Bland.
- 2 The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Virginia Historical Society, 1964, Vol. 72, No. 1, pp. 19-41.
- 3 Bland, Charles L., A Vision of Unity: The Bland Family in England and America: 1555-1900, Amherst, New York: Unknown (1982, Revised 1990), 75-76A.
- 4 Clay, John W., ed., Familiae Minorum Gentium, Vol. 2, London: The Harleian Society (1895), 422.
- 5 Dorman, John Frederick, Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5, 4th ed., Vol. 1, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2004), 323-325.
- 6 Howard, Joseph Jackson and Joseph Lemuel Chester, editors, The Visitation of London, Anno Domini 1633, 1634, and 1635, London: Printed by Mitchell and Hughes (1880), 79.
- 7 McCartney, Martha W., Virginia Immigrants and Adventurers: A Biographical Dictionary, 1607-1635, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2007), 139.
- 8 Slaughter, Philip, A History of Bristol Parish, Va: with Genealogies of Families Connected Therewith and Historical Illustrations, 2nd ed., Richmond: J. W. Randolph & English (1879), 151.
- 9 Waters, Henry Fitz-Gilbert, Genealogical Gleanings in England, Volume 1, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1901), 813-814, 816.