38th U.S. President
- 6th Great-grandmother of Gerald Ford — 9th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Simon Smith
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1663
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 10 Oct 1750
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Ely Cemetery, Lyme, New London, Connecticut
- Spouse Name:
- William Ely
- Marriage Date:
- 24 May 1681
- Marriage Location:
- Lyme, New London, Connecticut
Daniel Ely (Ahnentafel No:252 )
Some sources believe Elizebeth's death occurred prior to 22 SEP 1750 and not the date of 10 OCT 1750 which appears on her grave.
Sources also list Elizabeth's father as being Edward, Nathaniel, Nehemiah, or Simon Smith. An article in The American Genealogist came to the conclusion that Simon Smith is the correct father. (See TAG 1964[41:132-135]) However more recent sources claim Elizabeth's parents are Edward Smith and Elizabeth Bliss. (See Connecticut Nutmegger 2005[38:189])
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Elizabeth Smith
- 1 Gravestone image at FindAGrave.com, (accessed 05/10/2013).
- 2 The American Genealogist, 1964, Vol. 41, pp. 132-135, proves Elizabeth's father as Simon Smith of Haddam.
- 3 Andrews, Henry Porter, The Descendants of John Porter of Windsor, Conn. 1635-9, Vol. 1, Saratoga Springs: G. W. Ball, Book and Job Printer (1893), 59.
- 4 Beach, Moses S. and Rev. William Ely, The Ely Ancestry: Lineage of Richard Ely of Plymouth, England, Who Came to Boston, Mass., About 1655 . . ., New York: The Calumet Press (1902), 38-44, incorrectly gives Elizabeth's father as Nathaniel.
- 5 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 2003, Vol. 36, p. 385, incorrectly gives Elizabeth's father as Nathaniel Smith.
- 6 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 2005, Vol. 38, p. 189.
- 7 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 2005, Vol. 38,. p. 188, gives incorrect parentage for Elizabeth.
- 8 Frost, Josephine C., Ancestors of Evelyn Wood Keeler, Wife of Willard Underhill Taylor, Brooklyn, New York: Unknown (1939), 300.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, 2009 Edition, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 165.