Signer of the Declaration of Independence
- 4th Generation — Great-grandfather of Carter Braxton
- Ahnentafel No:
- (probable) John Carter
- (probable) Bridget Benion
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1613
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 10 Jun 1669
- Death Location:
- prob. Corotoman Plantation, Lancaster County, Virginia
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Sarah Ludlow
- Marriage Date:
- BEF 1663
- Marriage Location:
- Robert "King" Carter
Some sources claim John Carter was the son of William Carter of Casstown, Hereford, but most sources lean towards John and Bridget (Benion) Carter of London as his parents.
Additional marriages for John Carter
- Elinor Eltonhead
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for John Carter
- 1 The American Genealogist, New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online), 1985, Vol. 61, p. 179, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Barthelmas, Della Gray, The Signers of the Declaration of Independence: A Biographical and Genealogical Reference, Jefferson, N.C. and London: McFarland and Company, Inc., Publishers (1997), 105, 200.
- 3 Brogan, Hugh and Charles Mosley, American Presidential Families, New York: Macmillan Publishing Company (1993), 345, 724.
- 4 Browning, Charles H., The Magna Charta Barons and their American Descendants, Philadelpha: (1898), 133.
- 5 Carter, Jeff, Ancestors of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter, Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland and Company, Inc. (2012), 9-10, 16, 24-32.
- 6 Hardy, Stella Pickett, Colonial Families of the Southern States of America: A History and Genealogy of Colonial Families Who Settled . . ., New York: Tobias A. Wright (1911), 22, 109.
- 7 Keith, Charles P., The Ancestry of Benjamin Harrison, President of the United States of America 1889-1893 . . ., Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott Company (1893), 87-88, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 8 Pecdquet du Bellet, Louise, Some Prominent Virginia Families. Volume II, Lynchburg, VA: J. P. Bell Company (1907), 199.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 662.
- 10 Seversmith, Herbert Furman, Colonial Families of Long Island, New York and Connecticut, Washington: Unknown (1939), Vol. 5, pp. 2096-2097, Heritage Quest (Digital Library).
- 11 Watson, Annah Robinson, Of Sceptred Race, Memphis, TN: Early Printing and Publishing Company (1910), 242, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 12 Weis, Frederick Lewis, et. al., Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, 8th Edition, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2004), 18.
- 13 Wikipedia, "Robert Carter I", (accessed 03/03/2010).