Singer and Actor
- 9th Great-grandfather of Burl Ives — 12th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Lionel Chilton
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1556
- Birth Location:
- prob. Canterbury, Kent, England
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 8 Dec 1620
- Death Location:
- at sea off Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Marriage Date:
- Marriage Location:
Mary Chilton (Ahnentafel No:1359 )
James Chilton was a passenger on the Mayflower in 1620. Unfortunately James died before the Mayflower reached Plymouth. Their daughter Mary survived and many believed she was the first of the Mayflower passengers to actually step onto Plymouth Rock.
James's wife died at Plymouth early in 1621. Her name is not known, but she may have been Susanna Furner, daughter of James's step-mother.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for James Chilton
- 1 General Society of Mayflower Descendants Membership Applications, 1620-1920, General No. 4107, Membership application for Mary Ann Buchanan Smith (Brewster) Clark.
- 2 The Mayflower Descendant, 1991, Vol. 41, p. 8.
- 3 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol . 1, A-F, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1995), 353-355.
- 4 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol . 3, P-W, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1995), 2029.
- 5 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Directory: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1640, A Concise Compendium, Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society (20 15), 64.
- 6 Roberts, Gary Boyd, "#77 Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources: An Assortment of Famous Actors", (accessed 10/04/2014).
- 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 1, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998), 148.
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Mayflower 500: Five Hundred Notable Descendants of the Founding Families on the Mayflower, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2020), 12, 28, 53, 69, 94, 126, 138, 165, 179, 198, 200, 202, 210, 217, 230, 235, 238, et. al.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, 2009 Edition, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 614.
- 10 Sherman, Robert Moody et. al., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Vol. 15, James Chilton-Richard More, Plymouth, Massachusetts: General Society of Mayflower Descendants (2 013), 1-3.
- 11 Wakefield, Robert S. and Russell L. Warner, Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Vol. 14, Family of Myles Standish, Plymouth, Massachusetts: General Society of Mayflower Descendants (2 007), 5.