Author of Little House on the Prairie
- 2nd Great-grandfather of Laura Ingalls-Wilder — 5th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Jabez Delano
- Prudence Hibbard
- Birth Date:
- 23 Nov 1735
- Birth Location:
- Coventry, Tolland, Connecticut
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 28 Sep 1814
- Death Location:
- Hartford, Windsor, Vermont
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Savage-Delano Cemetery, Hartford, Windsor, Vermont
- Spouse Name:
- Anna Ladd
- Marriage Date:
- 8 Oct 1754
- Marriage Location:
Margaret Delano (Ahnentafel No:9 )
Many sources state that Jonathan Delano's parents were Jonathan Delano, Jr. and Amy Hatch. These were Jonathan's grandparents and not parents. This error is most notable in Gary Boyd Roberts's Notable Kin, Vol. 2.
The headstone on Jonathan Delano's grave confirms his birthdate as around 1735 and not 1715 as reported in some sources. The year of his death is clearly 1814 on the headstone and not 1811, although the 28 SEP appears to be correct.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Jonathan Delano
- 1 Coventry, CT: Vital Records, 1711-1844, p. 35, Birth record for Jonathan Delano.
- 2 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A031464.
- 3 Gravestone image at FindAGrave.com, (accessed 11/12/2012).
- 4 New England Ancestors Magazine, 2007, Vol. 8.5, p. 39.
- 5 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 2001, Vol. 34, p. 370.
- 6 Delano, Joel Andrew, The Genealogy, History, and Alliances of the American House of Delano, 1621-1899, New York: Unknown (1899), 328.
- 7 Ladd, Warren, The Ladd Family: A Genealogical and Biographical Memoir ..., New Bedford, Massachusetts: Edmund Anthony and Sons (1890), 19.
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 2, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1999), 111.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Mayflower 500: Five Hundred Notable Descendants of the Founding Families on the Mayflower, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2020), 196.
- 10 Wakefield, Robert S., comp., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Vol. 18, Part 3, Richard Warren, Plymouth, Massachusetts: General Society of Mayflower Descendants (2001), 118.