Benjamin Apthorp Gould
Founder of The Astronomical Journal
- Grandfather of Benjamin Apthorp Gould — 3rd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- John Gould
- Esther Giles
- Birth Date:
- 15 May 1751
- Birth Location:
- Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 30 May 1841
- Death Location:
- Newburyport, Essex, Massachusetts
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Grizzel Apthorp Flagg
- Marriage Date:
- 19 Jul 1781
- Marriage Location:
- Lancaster, Worcester, Massachusetts
Benjamin Apthorp Gould (Ahnentafel No:2 )
Revolutionary War veteran
Benjamin Gould is said to have been at the head of a thirty minute-men march from Topsfield to Lexington on 19 APR 1775 where he received a bullet wound to the face. A conspicuous scar was visible on his face for the rest of his life and was the subject of a poem by his daughter Hannah. He participated in the battles of Bunker Hill, White Plains, Bennington and Stillwater. He also had command of the guard at West Point when Benedict Arnold's treachery was discovered and British Major John André was captured.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Benjamin Gould
- 1 Boston Traveler (Boston, Massachusetts), 30 JAN 1827, p. 3, Death notice for spouse Mrs G Apthorp Gould.
- 2 Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1620-1850, Lancaster, Vol. 1, p. 117, Birth record for daughter Esther Gould.
- 3 Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1620-1850, Lancaster, Vol. 1, p. 127, Marriage record for Benjamin Gould and Grizzell Apthorp Flagg.
- 4 Massachusetts: Vital Records, 1620-1850, Topsfield, Vol. 1, p. 47, Birth record for Benjamin Gould.
- 5 Newburyport Herald (Newburyport, Massachusetts), 23 JAN 1827, p. 7, Death notice for spouse Mrs G Apthorp Gould.
- 6 Newburyport Herald (Newburyport, Massachusetts), 01 JUN 1840, p. 3, Obituary for Benjamin Gould.
- 7 Johnson, Rossiter and John Howard Brown, editors, The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans, Vol. 04, Ericsson - Gwin, Boston: The Biographical Society (1904), no page numbers.
- 8 Wilson, James Grant and John Fiske, Appletons' Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Vol. 2, New York: D. Appleton and Company (1887), 692-693.