American Author on Etiquette
- 1st Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Bruce Price
- Mary Josephine Lee
- Birth Date:
- prob. 27 OCT 1871
- Birth Location:
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 25 Sep 1960
- Death Location:
- New York, New York
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- St. Marys-in-Tuxedo Church Cemetery, Tuxedo Park, Orange, New York
aka Emily Post - American author on etiquette
Founder of The Emily Post Institute
Emily (Price) Post's birthdate has been said to be 27 OCT 1872. This appears on her tombstone and the 1900 census agrees with this date. However baptismal records for her brother William Lee Price show that he was born 08 APR 1873. He died just two years later and the birth date on his tombstone appears as 18 APR 1873. In either case, this would indicate that he was born less than 6 months after his sister. I believe her actual date was more likely 27 OCT 1871. This would agree with the 1880 census which gave her age as 8 in June of that year.
Marriages for Emily Price
- Edwin Main Post
- Marriage Date:
- 1 Jun 1892
- Marriage Location:
- Tuxedo Park, Orange, New York
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Emily Price
- 1 Cumberland News (Cumberland, Maryland), 19 JAN 1972, p. 5, NewspaperArchive.com (Digital Library).
- 2 Cumberland Times (Cumberland, Maryland), 01 JUN 1952, p. 4, NewspaperArchive.com (Digital Library).
- 3 Cumberland Times (Cumberland, Maryland), 16 JAN 1949, p. 5, NewspaperArchive.com (Digital Library).
- 4 Federal Census, NY, New York, 1880, New York City, E.D. 171, p. 20, Image 20 of 23, Ancestry.com (Online Census Images).
- 5 Federal Census, NY, New York County, 1900, Manhattan, E.D. 104, Sheet 4A, Image 7 of 37, Ancestry.com (Online Census Images).
- 6 Find A Grave, (accessed 08/25/2014).
- 7 New York Times (New York, New York), 27 SEP 1960, Obituary for Emily Post, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 8 The Mayflower Descendant, Spring 2012, Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 83-87, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 9 Claridge, Laura, Emily Post: Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners, New York: Random House Trade Paperback Edition (2009), 16.
- 10 Wikipedia, "Emily Post", (accessed 08/25/2014).