Salmon P. Chase
25th U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
- 4th Generation — Great-grandmother of Salmon P. Chase
- Ahnentafel No:
- Samuel Dudley
- Abigail Rogers
- Birth Date:
- 24 Aug 1711
- Birth Location:
- Concord, Middlesex, Massachusetts
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 12 Feb 1789
- Death Location:
- Cornish, Sullivan, New Hampshire
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Trinity Cemetery, Cornish, Sullivan, New Hampshire
- Spouse Name:
- Samuel Chase
- Marriage Date:
- May 1728
- Marriage Location:
- Dudley Chase
Mary Dudley's given name is also seen as Marcy.
Mary's birth date has been listed in sources as both 11 and 22 FEB 1711. This difference of 11 days could be due to the calendar change from Julian to Gregorian in 1752 when 11 days were added to the calendar. However, in the Littleton, Massachusetts vital record, you will find to birth entries as follows:
Mary Dudley, daughter of Samuel and Abigail Dudley, born August 24th 1711.
Marcy Dudley, daughter of Samuel and Abigail Dudley, born Febr. the 22 1716.
Mary Dudley's birth is the first entry recorded in the Littleton vital records, but it is believed to have occured in Concord as the town of Littleton was settled three years later. Her family is said to have been among those first settlers.
Considering her age is listed as 78 at the time of her death in 1789, it would appear the former is the correct birthdate for Mary.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Mary Dudley
- 1 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A021210.
- 2 Find A Grave, (accessed 04/09/2013).
- 3 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Sutton Births, Vol. 1, Page 38, Birth record for son Dudley Chase.
- 4 Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 (Online Datebase), New England Historic Genealogical Society (2001-2008), Littleton, Vol. 1, p. 17, Birth record for Mary Dudley.
- 5 New England Historical and Genealogical Register, (New England Historic and Genealogical Society), 1912, Vol. 66, p. 126.
- 6 Chase, John Carroll and George Walter Chamberlain, Seven Generations of the Descendants of Aquila and Thomas Chase, Haverhill, Massachusetts: Record Publishing Company (1928), 88, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 7 Dudley, Dean, History of the Dudley Family: With Genealogical Tables, Pedigrees, &c., Number 1, Boston: David Clapp and Son, Printers (1886), 559, Internet Archive (Digital Library).
- 8 Warden, Robert B., An Account of the Private Life and Public Services of Salmon Portland Chase, Cincinnati, Ohio: Wilstach, Baldwin and Company (1874), 24, Google Books (Digital Library).