Ancestry of General
- 1st Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- William Mercer
- Anne Munro
- Birth Date:
- 17 Jan 1726
- Birth Location:
- Pitsligo Kirk, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 12 Jan 1777
- Death Location:
- Princeton, Mercer, New Jersey
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Laurel Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hugh Mercer was a Brigadier General in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He was mortally wounded at the Battle of Princeton. His death was immortalized in an oil painting of the battle by American artist John Trumbull.
Sir Robert Munro was once thought to be the grandfather of Gen. Hugh Mercer. This connection has apparently been proven false by a Scottish genealogist in 1981.
Marriages for Hugh Mercer
- Isabella Gordon
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 1743
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Hugh Mercer
- 1 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A077456.
- 2 Find A Grave, (accessed 10/26/2013).
- 3 Browning, Charles H., ed., Americans Of Royal Descent, Philadelphia: Porter and Coates (1883), 74, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 4 Goolrick, John T., The Life of General Hugh Mercer, New York and Washington: The Neale Publishing Company (1906), 105, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 5 Patton, Robert H., The Pattons: A Personal History of an American Family, New York: Crown Publishers, Inc. (1994), xi.
- 6 Pecquet du Bellet, Louise, Some Prominent Virginia Families, Vol. 4, Lynchburg, VA: J. P. Bell Company (1907), 427.
- 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008), 141.
- 8 Wikipedia, "Hugh Mercer", (accessed 10/26/2013).
- 9 Wikipedia, "Hugh W. Mercer", (accessed 10/26/2013).