Signer of the Declaration of Independence
- Grandfather of Caesar Rodney — 3rd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- William Rodney
- Rachel -----
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- 14 Mar 1660/1661
- Christening Location:
- Christchurch, Bristol, England
- Death Date:
- 8 Sep 1708
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Byfield Plantation, near Dover, Kent, Delaware
- Spouse Name:
- Sarah Jones
- Marriage Date:
- 20 Feb 1693/1694
- Marriage Location:
Caesar Rodney (Ahnentafel No:2 )
Some sources give William Rodney's birth date as 04 MAR 1652 as reportedly given in the Rodney Family Bible at the Delaware Public Archives. Although the day and month are probably correct, it is believed that the year may be wrong as the bible entry was reportedly made over a century later by a grandson. The actual date of birth is more likely to be the same as that of the christening.
William Rodney is possibly the same man as that who died and was buried in Philadelphia on 12 JAN 1694/1695. More research is needed.
Some sources state William Rodney's first wife was a daughter of John Richardson, Sr. Evidence has since come to light casting much doubt upon this claim.
It is often claimed that William Rodney arrived with William Penn in 1682. This claim is apparently incorrect and originated from William Rodney's grandsonThomas Rodney, brother to Caesar Rodney who signed the Delaration of Independence. Thomas Rodney was the author of a history on the Rodney family in which he made this claim.
Additional marriages for William Rodney
- Mary Hollyman
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 25 Jan 1688/1689
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for William Rodney
- 1 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1989, Vol. 64, pp. 97-98, 105-109, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Barthelmas, Della Gray , The Signers of the Declaration of Independence: A Biographical and Genealogical Reference , Jefferson, N.C. and London: McFarland and Company, Inc., Publishers (1997) , 224.
- 3 Richardson, Douglas and Kimball G. Everingham , Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study i n Colonial & Medieval Families, 2nd Edition , Salt Lake City, Utah: Douglas Richardson (2011) , 85.
- 4 Roberts, Gary Boyd , The Royal Descents of 600 Immig rants to the American Colonies or the United States , Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. (2008) , 152.
- 5 Wikipedia , "Caesar Rodney" , (accessed 04/14/2014).