Ancestry of Colonel
Robert Gould Shaw
U.S. Civil War leader of film “Glory” fame
- 1st Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Francis George Shaw
- Sarah Blake Sturgis
- Birth Date:
- 10 Oct 1837
- Birth Location:
- Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 18 Jul 1863
- Death Location:
- Second Battle of Fort Wagner, Morris Island, Charleston Harbor, South Carolina
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
Col. Robert Gould Shaw was the commander of the all black 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War. He was killed in the Second Battle of Fort Wagner on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor. He was the principal subject of the 1989 film Glory in which he was depicted by actor Matthew Broderick.
Robert Gould Shaw
Marriages for Robert Gould Shaw
- Anna Kneeland Haggerty
- Marriage Date:
- 2 May 1863
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Robert Gould Shaw
- 1 New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1924, Vol. 78, p. 97.
- 2 Breck, Samuel, Genealogy of the Breck Family Descended from Edward of Dorchester and His Brothers in America, Omaha: Rees Printing Company (1889), 34-35.
- 3 Dudley, Dean, History of the Dudley Family: With Genealogical Tables, Pedigrees, &c., Number 1, Boston: David Clapp and Son, Printers (1886), 896.
- 4 Hampton, Vernon B., Staten Island's Claim to Fame: The Garden Spot of New York Harbor, Staten Island, New York: Richmond Borough Publishing and Printing Company (1925), 166.
- 5 Porter, Joseph W., ed., The Bangor Historical Magazine, Bangor, Maine: Benjamin A. Burr, Printer, JUL 1891 to JUN 1892, Vol. 7, p. 92.
- 6 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 1, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998), 220, 224.
- 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Mayflower 500: Five Hundred Notable Descendants of the Founding Families on the Mayflower, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2020), 328.
- 8 Sturgis, Francis Shaw, The Descendants of Nath'l Russell Sturgis: With a Brief Introductory Sketch of His Ancestor s in England and . . ., Boston: Printed by G. H. Ellis (1925), 5.
- 9 Watson, Marston, Royal Families: Americans of Royal and Noble Ancestry, Volume 1, Governor Thomas Dudley and D escendants . . ., 2nd Ed., Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (2004), 248-249.
- 10 Watson, Marston, Royal Families: Americans of Royal and Noble Ancestry, Volume 3, Samuel Appleton and His Wif e Judith Everard . . ., Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (2007), 215.
- 11 Wikipedia, "Robert Gould Shaw", (accessed 09/18/2014).
- 12 Wikipedia, "Second Battle of Fort Wagner", (accessedd 09/18/2014).