Barbara (Pierce) Bush
First Lady of President George H.W. Bush
- 9th Generation — 6th Great-grandmother of Barbara (Pierce) Bush
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1680
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- BEF 1722
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Isaac Thayer
- Marriage Date:
- AFT 18 Dec 1700
- Marriage Location:
- Moses Thayer
One source has Mary/Mercy Rockwood whose parents are Josiah and Mary (Twitchell) Rockwood, while another has her as Mercy Rockwood whose father is John Rockwood of Mendon, Massachusetts. Other sources, including recent sources, list her as Mary/Mercy Ward.
Gary Boyd Roberts's book, Ancestors of American Presidents (2009 ed.), lists both Rockwood and Ward depending on which chart in the book that you look at. Page 197 (Bush Genealogy) lists her as Mary (Ward?) while the charts on pages 495 and 545 both list her as Mercy Rockwood. In all cases they are the mother of Moses Thayer.
The best solution to these discrepancies I have seen so far are in William Richard Cutter's "New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial, Vols. 1-4 (New York: 1915). In volume 1, page 332, he states that Isaac had two wives. The first was Mercy Rockwood, daughter of John Rockwood and granddaughter of Richard Rockwood. She died on 18 DEC 1700 and he then married Mary ------ in 1703. He states that the name Ward is incorrect. Under his version, Mercy Rockwood would not be the mother of Moses Thayer. Birth records of of the children of Isaac Thayer agree with their being two mothers, one name Mercy and the other named Mary. Mary is listed for all birth after the death of Mercy was recorded in 1700.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Mary -----
- 1 New England Ancestors Magazine, 2005, Vol. 6, Iss. 4, p. 40, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Bassette, Buell Burdett, One Bassett Family in America with All Connections in America and Many in Great Britain and France, New Britain, Connecticut: Privately Printed (1926), 719, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 3 Reitwiesner, William Addams, "Ancestry of George W. Bush", (accessed 04/02/2013).
- 4 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 495.
- 5 Robertson, Florance Alice Loveless Keeney, The Keayne, Keen(e), Keeney, Kinne(y), Kenney and Allied Families, Los Angeles?: Haynes Corp., Printers (1942), 9, Heritage Quest (Digital Library).
- 6 Thayer, Bezaleel, Memorial of the Thayer Name, From the Massachusetts Colony of Weymouth and Braintree, Embracing Genealogical and . . ., Oswego, New York: R. J. Oliphant, Steam Book and Job Printer (1874), 331-332, Google Books (Digital Library).