- 3rd Generation — Grandmother of Shirley Temple
- Ahnentafel No:
- George W. Yeager
- Sarah Emeline Amberson
- Birth Date:
- 6 Jun 1854
- Birth Location:
- prob. Mercer, Mercer Co., Pennsylvania
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 7 May 1923
- Death Location:
- Los Angeles County, California
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Angelus Rosedale Cemetery, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Co., California
- Spouse Name:
- Francis Marion "Frank" Temple
- Marriage Date:
- Marriage Location:
- George Francis Temple
Cynthia Yeager is listed as Cynthia Flake Yeager on her son George Francis Temple's marriage certificate. Also she named a son Herbert Flake Temple and she was living with her aunt Nancy Flake in 1880. Her maternal grandmother was named Emeline Flake, wife of George Amberson. So at first glance it appears that Flake is Cynthia's middle name.
However Cynthia Yeager's son Herbert Flake Temple listed his mother as Cyntha Fell Temple as his nearest relative on his World War I draft registration. His brother Francis Marion Temple also lists his mother as Cynthia Fell Yeager on his marriage license. Cynthia's paternal grandmother was named Cynthia Fell, wife of Michael Yeager.
The answer to the mystery of Cynthia Yeager's middle name can be found in the book Genealogy of the Fell Family in America, published in 1891 while Cynthia's parents were still alive and living in Mercer, Pennsylvania. In the book, Cynthia is listed as Cynthia Fell Yeager and her sister is listed as Emeline Flake Yeager. The two sisters were named after their grandmothers thus confirming that Cynthia Yeager's middle name is actually Fell and not Flake.
Cynthia Fell Yeager
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Cynthia Fell Yeager
- 1 California, County Marriages, 1850-1952, Marriage ceritificate for son George Francis Temple and Gertrude Amelia Krieger, FamilySearch.org (Online Database).
- 2 California, County Marriages, 1850-1952, Marriage certificate for son Francis Marion Temple and Mary Nellie Pruitt, FamilySearch.org (Online Database).
- 3 California, Death Index, 1905-1939, Death record for Cynthia F Temple, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 4 Federal Census, CA, Los Angeles County, 1910, Los Angeles Dist. 70, E.D. 207, Sheet 3B, Image 6 of 22, Ancestry.com (Online Census Images).
- 5 Federal Census, PA, Erie County, 1900, Erie Ward 1, E.D. 70, Sheet 8B, Image 16 of 31, Ancestry.com (Online Census Images).
- 6 Federal Census, PA, Mercer County, 1880, Mercer, E.D. 221, p. 11, Image 11 of 23, Ancestry.com (Online Census Images).
- 7 Find A Grave, (accessed 10/17/2014).
- 8 U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, Draft registration for son Herbert Flake Temple, Ancestry.com (Online Database).
- 9 Fell, Sarah M., Genealogy of the Fell Family in America Descended from Joseph Fell Who Settled in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, 1705, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Press of A. H. Sickler and Co. (1891), 255, Internet Archive (Digital Library).