Thomas Hunt Morgan
Nobel Prize Winner in Physiology or Medicine
- 4th Generation — Great-grandfather of Thomas Hunt Morgan
- Ahnentafel No:
- John Ross Key
- Birth Date:
- 9 Aug 1780
- Birth Location:
- Terra Rubra, Frederick (now Carroll), Maryland
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 11 Jan 1843
- Death Location:
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Mount Olivet Cemetery, Frederick, Frederick Co., Maryland
- Spouse Name:
- Mary Tayloe Lloyd
- Marriage Date:
- 19 Jan 1802
- Marriage Location:
- Elizabeth Phoebe Key
Author of “The Star Spangled Banner”
Many historians have linked Mary (Jenkins) Surratt, co-conspirator of Abraham Lincoln's assassination, as a cousin of both F. Scott Fitzgerald and Francis Scott Key. This appears to be incorrect as the link is actually through Mary's son John Harrison Surratt's wife Mary Victorine Hunter.
Francis Scott Key
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Francis Scott Key
- 1 Baltimore: Its History and Its People, Vol. III - Biography, New York / Chicago: Lewis Historical Publishing Company (1912), 513-514, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 2 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A065323.
- 3 Find A Grave, (accessed 07/12/2018).
- 4 Maryland Genealogies: A Consolidation of Articles from the Maryland Historical Magazine, Vol. II, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (1980), 178.
- 5 Hanson, George Adolphus, Old Kent: The Eastern Shore of Maryland; Notes Illustrative of the Most Ancient Records of Kent County, Maryland . . ., Baltimore: John P. Des Forges (1876), 47, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- 6 Key-Smith, F.S., Francis Scott Key, Author of The Star Bangled Banner, What Else He Was and Who, Washington, D.C.: Key-Smith and Company (1911), Google Books (Digital Library).
- 7 Lane, Mrs. Julian C., Key and Allied Families, Macon, Georgia: The J. W. Burke Company (1931), 58-59, Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- 8 Mackenzie, George Norbury, ed., Colonial Families of the United States of America, New York: Grafton Press (1907), 300-301.
- 9 Papenfuse, Edward C., et. al., A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789, Volume 2: I-Z, Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press (1985), 770, Archives of Maryland Online.
- 10 Rietwiesner, William Addams, comp. and Christopher Challender Child, et. al., The Ancestry of Catherine Middleton, Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2011), 96.
- 11 Weis, Frederick Lewis, et. al., Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, 8th Edition, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company (2004), 88.
- 12 Wikipedia, "Francis Scott Key", (accessed 11/19/2012).
- 13 Wikipedia, "Terra Rubra", (accessed 11/19/2012).