44th U.S. President
- 6th Great-grandfather of Barack Obama — 9th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1745
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- ABT 1812
- Death Location:
- Clark County, Kentucky
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Susannah Hickman
- Marriage Date:
- ABT 1766
- Marriage Location:
- Culpepper County, Virginia
Anne Browning (Ahnentafel No:221 )
Some sources claim that James Browning is the son of John Browning and Elizabeth Demarest. However, there is no James among the children listed in the will of John Browning. DAR records list John Browning and Elizabeth Demarest as his parents as does the 1938 published genealogy The Demarest Family. More research is needed to resolve this, but at this time James Browning's parents should be considered unknown.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for James Browning
- 1 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, DAR Ancestor #A054844, A016033, A016038, (accessed 03/17/2012).
- 2 New England Ancestors Magazine, Fall 2008, Vol. 9, Issue 4, pp. 45-46.
- 3 New England Ancestors Magazine, 2009, Vol. 10.1, p. 32.
- 4 Bachelor, Rosemary E., "President Obama Descends from 14 Revolutionary War Soldiers (suite101.com Website)", (accessed 03/16/2012).
- 5 Demarest, Mary A. and William H. S. Demarest, The Demarest Family: David Des Marest of the French Patent on the Hackensack and His Descenda nts, New Brunswick, New Jersey: Thatcher-Anderson Company (1938), 35.
- 6 Dimond, Loretta-Marie, "Supposed Descent of Barack Obama from Edward Earle/Elsje Vreeland", (accessed 12/31/2015).
- 7 McAllister, John Meriwether, ed. and Lura Boulton Tandy, Genealogies of the Lewis and Kindred Families, Columbia, Missouri: E. W. Stephens Publishing Company (1906), 366-367.
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, 2009 Edition, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 212, 296.