George Henry Bissell
Father of the American Oil Industry
- Mother of George Henry Bissell — 2nd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- John Barent Wemple
- Mary Veeder
- Birth Date:
- 22 Oct 1781
- Birth Location:
- Schenectady, Schenectady Co., New York
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 6 Jun 1855
- Death Location:
- Hanover, Grafton, New Hampshire
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Dartmouth College Cemetery, Hanover, Grafton, New Hampshire
- Spouse Name:
- Isaac Bissell
- Marriage Date:
- 12 Nov 1801
- Marriage Location:
- Lyme, New London, Connecticut
George Henry Bissell (Ahnentafel No:1 )
aka Nina Wempé in Dutch
Nancy Wemple's tombstone gives her birthdate as 22 OCT 1781 in Schenectady, New York. It also gives her name in Dutch. Some sources refer to Nancy Wemple as Anna Wemple whose baptism date is 24 OCT 1780 and can be found the Dutch Reformed Church records in Fonda, New York. They also state Nancy's marriage to Isaac Bissell occurred at Onondaga Hollow, New York on 20 OCT 1801. However, a marriage record is recorded at Lyme, Connecticut, for Isaac Bissell of New Hampshire and Nancy Wemple of Onondaga, New York with the marriage occurring 12 NOV 1801. It would appear that these sources may have confused Nancy with a sister Anna, or are Nancy and Anna the same person and information on the tombstone is incorrect? More evidence is needed to sort out these issues.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Nancy Wemple
- 1 Connecticut, U.S., Church Record Abstracts, 1630-1920, Marriage record for Isaac Bissel and Nancy Wemple.
- 2 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System, Ancestor #A122789, gives Nancy's name as Anna whose birthdate doesn't match tombstone.
- 3 Federal Census, NH, Grafton County, 1850, Hanover, Image 26 of 58.
- 4 Gravestone image at FindAGrave.com, (accessed 12/07/2019).
- 5 Dwight, Benjamin W., The History of the Descendants of John Dwight, of Dedham, Mass., Vol. 1, New York: John F. Trow and Sons (1874), 413, gives Nancy's wedding date as 20 OCT 1801 in Onondaga Hollow, NY.
- 6 Effingham de Forest, Louis, ed., Saint Nicholas Society of the City of New York, New York: Printed by order of the Society (1923), 25.