Short Story Writer
- Grandfather of O. Henry — 3rd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- William Porter
- Sarah Lusk
- Birth Date:
- 2 Feb 1790
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- 11 Oct 1797
- Christening Location:
- Farmington, Hartford, Connecticut
- Death Date:
- 8 Feb 1848
- Death Location:
- Greensboro, Guilford, North Carolina
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- First Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Greensboro, Guilford, North Carolina
- Spouse Name:
- Ruth Coffin Worth
- Marriage Date:
- 22 Apr 1824
- Marriage Location:
- Guilford County, North Carolina
Algernon Sidney Porter (Ahnentafel No:2 )
David Worth Porter
Emily Rosaline Porter
Evelina Maria Porter
William Clarkson Porter
Oscar Lusk Porter
Charles Edward Porter
Henry Milton Porter
Sidney Porter was not the son of Eleazer Williams Porter and Sarah Keyes as is often claimed.
Some published sources incorrectly give Sidney Porter's birth year as 1795 or 1797. He reportedly worked for the Connecticut Clock Company when he headed to North Carolina about 1823.
The birth date of 02 FEB 1790 for Sidney Porter comes from an old Family Register dating back to between 1805 and 1848 and now in the possession of Kathy Russell-Regan as of Oct 2021. This date is identical to the birth date that appears on the tombstone for Sidney Porter.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Sidney Porter
- 1 Connecticut, U.S., Church Record Abstracts, 1630-1920, Baptism record for children of William Porter.
- 2 Connecticut, U.S., Hale Collection of Cemetery Inscriptions and Newspaper Notices, 1629-1934, 24 FEB 1848, Obituary record for Sidney Porter.
- 3 Family Register of William Porter and Sarah Lusk, (original in the possession of descendant Kathy Russell-Regan, OCT 2021).
- 4 Family Tree for Family of Sidney Porter and Ruth Coffin Worth, (original in the possession of Kathy Russell-Regan, descendant of Sidney's brother Romanta, O CT 2021).
- 5 Find A Grave, (accessed 05/08/2020).
- 6 North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979, Marriage record for Sidney Porter and Ruth C Worth.
- 7 North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979, FHL No. 102170509, Image 411, Marriage of son William C Porter and Sarah R Sloan.
- 8 Homans, James E., The Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Vol. 8, New York: The Press Association Compilers, Inc. (1918), 371.
- 9 Nantucket Historical Society, The Barney Genealogical Record, (accessed 05/08/2020).
- 10 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Mayflower 500: Five Hundred Notable Descendants of the Founding Families on the Mayflower, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2020), 206.
- 11 Roberts, Gary Boyd and William Addams Reitwiesner, American Ancestors and Cousins of The Princess of Wales, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. (1984), 52, gives incorrect parentage for Sidney Porter.