Signer of the Declaration of Independence
- 3rd Generation — Grandmother of William Floyd
- Ahnentafel No:
- Richard Woodhull
- Dorothy Howell
- Birth Date:
- 30 May 1662
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 1 Feb 1718
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Setauket Presbyterian Church, Setauket, Suffolk, New York
- Spouse Name:
- Richard Floyd Jr.
- Marriage Date:
- 10 Sep 1686
- Marriage Location:
Nicholl Floyd (Ahnentafel No:2 )
Some sources state that Margaret was the daughter of Col. Matthias Nicholl, Secretary of the Province of New York. However, no evidence has been found to support this and it is merely based upon the fact that Margaret and her husband Richard named their youngest son Nicoll and from a reported inscription on Margaret's gravestone referring to her as "Mrs. Margaret Nicolls." However, the current gravestone carries the inscription "Mrs. Margarett Floyd." Also Col. Matthias Nicholl is not known to have had a daughter named Margaret.
On the other hand, there is evidence to support Margaret as the daughter of Richard Woodhull. This is based upon a letter by her son-in-law Rev. Dr. Samuel Johnson that states that she was Margaret Woodhull. The Rev. Dr. Johnson's letter was written to his son in 1757 regarding his son's family history. With regards to Col. Richard Floyd, his son's grandfather, the letter states, "His wife was Margaret Woodhull, whose Father was an English Gentleman of a considerable Family." Of all the evidence available regarding Margaret's parentage, the Rev. Dr. Samuel Johnson would appear to be the most reliable.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Margaret Woodhull
- 1 Find A Grave , (accessed 03/31/2014).
- 2 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1954, Vol. 31, pp. 119-121, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 3 American Society of Genealogists , The Genealogist , Rockport, Maine: Picton Press , 1981, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 198, 201-202.
- 4 Roberts, Gary Boyd , Notable Ki n, Volume 1 , Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1998) , 148.