Singer and Songwriter
- 5th Great-grandmother of Taylor Swift — 8th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- AFT 19 Jun 1757
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Josiah Thomas Jr.
- Marriage Date:
- 12 Oct 1748
- Marriage Location:
- Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut
Sarah Thomas (Ahnentafel No:65 )
There appear to be two possibilities for the parents of Sarah Judd.
Sarah Judd may be the daughter of William Judd and Mary Root who married Benjamin Richards in 1758 and died in 1777. With the death of her husband Josiah Thomas a year earlier and the fact that Benjamin Richards was about 30 years old at the time, the chronology fits. However, the location doesn't. That Sarah Judd was born and married in Waterbury. I have not found a reason for her to be getting married in Kent to Josiah Thomas. Also, why didn't she use her married name of Thomas when she married Benjamin Richards.
Another possibilty is that she is the daughter of Philip Judd and Abigail Gridley. They married in Kent, Connecticut in 1738/9. The chronology and location fit, but there is no birth record recorded for a daughter Sarah Judd while records for other children do exist. Also, Philip Judd's will in 1803 does not mention a daughter named Sarah while he does mention his other children, including the heirs of those deceased. Since Sarah had at least four children, even if she were deceased it would seem likely he would have included her heirs in his will.
More evidence is needed to determine Sarah Judd's parentage.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Sarah Judd
- 1 Connecticut, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1609-1999, 1757, Harford, Connecticut, Case #3213, Probate file for spouse Josiah Thomas Jr.
- 2 Connecticut: Vital Records (The Barbour Collection), 1630-1870, Kent, p. 87, Birth records for children of Josiah and Sarah Thomas.
- 3 Connecticut: Vital Records (The Barbour Collection), 1630-1870, Kent, p. 87, Marriage record for Josiah Thomas Jr and Sarah Judd.