Singer and Songwriter
- 11th Great-grandfather of Taylor Swift — 14th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- ABT 1580
- Birth Location:
- prob. Lincolnshire, England
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- Sep 1630
- Death Location:
- Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Elinor -----
- Marriage Date:
- BEF 1604
- Marriage Location:
Francis Billington (Ahnentafel No:4870 )
- BIOGRAPHY: Mayflower passenger. DEATH: Hanged for the murder of John Newcomen. The only contemporary eyewitness account was written by William Bradford, "1630 - This year John Billington the elder, one that came over with the first, was arraigned, and both by grand and petty jury found guilty of wilful murder, by plain and notorious evidence. And was for the same accordingly executed. This, as it was the first execution amongst them, so was it a matter of great sadness unto them. They used all due means about this trial and took the advice of Mr. Winthrop and other the ablest gentlemen in Bay of the Massachusetts, that were then newly come over, who concurred with them that he ought to die, and the land to be purged from blood. He and some of his had been often punished for miscarriages before, being one of the profanest families amongst them; they came from London, and I know not by what friends shuffled into their company. His fact was that he waylaid a young man, one John Newcomen, about a former quarrel and shot him with a gun, whereof he died." - Taken from Mayflower Families 5 Generations Vol. 21.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for John Billington
- 1 NEHGS NEXUS: New England Across the United States, 1988, Vol. 5, p. 21.
- 2 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol. 1, A-F, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1995), 173-174, 609.
- 3 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vol. 3, P-W, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (1995), 1423.
- 4 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Directory: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1640, A Concise Compendium, Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2015), 29.
- 5 Originally compiled by Harriet W. Hodge; Revised by Robert S. Wakefield, F.A.S.G., Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Vol. 21, John Billington, Plymouth, Massachusetts: General Society of Mayflower Descendants (2001), 5.
- 6 Roberts, Gary Boyd, "#74 Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources: The New England Ancestry of Actor Richard [Tiffany] Gere", (accessed 10/10/2014).
- 7 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 2, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1999), 95.
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd, The Mayflower 500: Five Hundred Notable Descendants of the Founding Families on the Mayflower, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2020), 4, 255, 314, 370, 378, 585, 603, 682, 787.