Adlai Stevenson II
31st Governor of Illinois
- 7th Great-grandmother of Adlai Stevenson II — 10th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- William Debnam
- Katherine -----
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- AFT 1688
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Robert Taliaferro
- Marriage Date:
- Marriage Location:
John Taliaferro (Ahnentafel No:366 )
Some sources state that Robert Taliaferro married Sarah Grymes, daughter of Charles Grymes and his wife Katherine, widow of William Debnam. Other sources, including some more recent, state that Robert Taliaferro married Katherine Debnam, daughter of William Debnam and his wife Katherine. So which is correct?
The current belief is that Katherine Debnam is the correct wife of Robert. Katherine's name is probably confused with the wife of Robert and Katherine's son, also named Robert, and his wife Sarah Catlett. An article in The Virginia Genealogist by Rudolf Loeser (1997, Vol. 41, pp. 163-171) attempts to sort through all the confusion.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Katherine Debnam
- 1 Genealogies of Virginia Families: From Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Baltimore, Maryland: Reprinted for Clearfield Company by Genealogical Publishing Company (200 7), Vol. 3, pp. 521-527.
- 2 The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography, Volume 37, New York: James T. White and Company (1951), 264.
- 3 The William and Mary Quarterly, 1912, Vol. 20, No. 4, p. 267.
- 4 Davis, Lottie Wright, Records of Lewis, Meriwether and Kindred Families; Genealogical Records of Minor, Davis , . . ., Columbia, MO: Artcraft Press (1951), 153.
- 5 Dorman, John Frederick, ed., The Virginia Genealogist, 2004, Vol. 48, pp. 87, 99, 281-284.
- 6 Dorman, John Frederick, ed., The Virginia Genealogist, 1997, Vol. 41, pp. 163-171.
- 7 Grimes, Emma Elizabeth, The Grimes Family, Minneapolis, MN: The Lund Press (1946), 1.
- 8 McGroarty, William Buckner, "The Family Register of Nicholas Taliafero with Notes", The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 1, No. 3 (July 1921), 146.
- 9 Roberts, Gary Boyd, Notable Kin, Volume 2, Santa Clarita, California: Carl Boyer, 3rd (1999), 162.
- 10 Sherman, Nell Cadle (Watson), Taliaferro-Toliver Family Records, Peoria, Illinois: Typed manuscript (1960), 6-7.
- 11 Stanard, William G., ed., The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Volume 27, Richmond, VA: Mitchell and Hotchkiss, Printers (1919), 185.
- 12 Stubbs, William Carter, A History of Two Virginia Families Transplanted from County Kent, England: Thomas Baytop, Ten terden, 1638 and John . . ., New Orleans, Louisiana: Unknown (1918), 15.