American Folk Artist
- 5th Great-grandmother of Grandma Moses — 8th Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Birth Date:
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- AFT 11 Jan 1657/1658
- Death Location:
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- William Reed
- Marriage Date:
- 26 Oct 1635
- Marriage Location:
- Long Sutton, Somersetshire, England
William Reed Jr. (Ahnentafel No:82 )
In early publications, Avis Chapman's maiden name is also seen as Deacon. However, this is now believed to be false. It would appear that she was confused with an Avis Deacon who emigrated to Virginia aboard the Alice in 1635.
View famous kin of Avis Chapman
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Avis Chapman
- 1 NEHGS NEXUS: New England Across the United States, 1989, Vol. 6, p. 64.
- 2 Somerset Marriage Index, Marriage record for William Reeds and Avis Chapman.
- 3 The Mayflower Descendant, 1990, Vol. 40, p. 124.
- 4 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635, Vol. VI, R-S, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 28.
- 5 Chamberlain, George Walter, History of Weymouth Massachusetts, in Four Volumes, Vol. 4, Genealogy of Weymouth Families, Weymouth, Massachusetts: Weymouth Historical Society (1923), 568-569.
- 6 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, The Connecticut Nutmegger, 1988, Vol. 21, p. 387.
- 7 Jacobus, Donald Lines, The Granberry Family and Allied Families: Including the Ancestry of Helen (Woodward) Granberry, New Haven, Connecticut: The Tuttle, Morehouse and Taylor Company (1945), 301-302.
- 8 Reed, John Ludovicus, The Reed Genealogy: Descendants of William Reade of Weymouth, Massachusetts From 1635 to 1902, n. p.: n. p. (1902), 1-5, gives Avis's maiden name as Deacon.
- 9 Wood, Ralph V., Jr., ""Mayflower Families Through Five Generations: Vol. 12, Francis Cooke, Revised Edition, Rockland, Maine: Picton Press (2011, revised edition 3rd printing), 96.