- Mother of John Brown — 2nd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Gideon Mills Jr.
- Ruth Humphrey
- Birth Date:
- 25 Jan 1772
- Birth Location:
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 9 Dec 1808
- Death Location:
- Hudson, Summit, Ohio
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Old Hudson Township Burying Ground, Hudson, Summit, Ohio
- Spouse Name:
- Owen Brown
- Marriage Date:
- 11 Feb 1793
- Marriage Location:
- Simsbury, Hartford, Connecticut
John Brown (Ahnentafel No:1 )
When James N. Arnold copied the original Torrington Vital Records in 1916 onto index cards, he apparently misread Ruth's name as Berthe. These cards called The Arnold Copy are currently in the Connecticut State Library.
Later when the cards were alphabetized and typed into a single volume in 1927, someone must have compared Arnold's cards with the originals (Original Torrington Vital Records, p. 17) and the error was discovered. So the alphabetized list still contains Berthe, but notes were placed next to the entries indicating her name is really Ruth.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Ruth Mills
- 1 Connecticut: Vital Records (The Barbour Collection), 1630-1870 , Torrington, p. 10, Birth record for son John Brown, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 2 Connecticut: Vital Records (The Barbour Collection), 1630-1870 , Torrington, p. 10, Marriage record for Owen Brown and Ruth Mills at Symsbury, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 3 Daughters of the American Revolution Genealogical Research System , Ancestor #A015553 and #A079905.
- 4 Find A Grave , (accessed 04/01/2015).
- 5 The American Genealogist , New Haven, Connecticut: D. L. Jacobus (issues newer than 5 years not online) , 1959, Vol. 35, p. 19, New England Historic Genealogical Society (Online Database).
- 6 Brown, Abiel , Genealogical History with Short Sketches and Family Record of the Early Settlers of West Sims bury, Now Canton, Conn. , Hartford: Press of Case, Tiffany and Company (1856) , 100, Google Books (Digital Library).
- 7 Johnson, Mary Coffin , The Higleys and their Ancestry: An Old Colonial Family , New York: D. Appleton and Company (1896) , 442, Heritage Quest (Digital Library).
- 8 Roberts, Gary Boyd , "#58 Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources: Elizabeth Boyd Roberts: A Genealogica l Tribute with 50 New . . ." , (accessed 07/08/2017).
- 9 Wikipedia , "John Brown (abolitionist)" , (accessed 04/01/2015).
- 10 Wikipedia , "Owen Brown (college founder)" , (accessed 04/01/2015).