16th U.S. President
- Mother of Abraham Lincoln — 2nd Generation
- Ahnentafel No:
- Lucy Hanks
- Birth Date:
- 5 Feb 1783
- Birth Location:
- Campbell County, Virginia
- Christening Date:
- Christening Location:
- Death Date:
- 5 Oct 1818
- Death Location:
- Little Pigeon Creek, near Gentryville, Spencer, Indiana
- Burial Date:
- Burial Location:
- Spouse Name:
- Thomas Lincoln
- Marriage Date:
- 12 Jun 1806
- Marriage Location:
- Washington County, Kentucky
Abraham Lincoln (Ahnentafel No:1 )
The ancestry of Nancy Hanks's mother Lucy has been debated by historians for over 100 years. However on 21 OCT 2015 the results of a mtDNA study of the matrilineal kin of Nancy Hanks finally provided the evidence to support the theory that Nancy's mother Lucy was the biological daughter of Ann “Nancy” Lee, wife of Joseph Hanks. As a result, the theory that Lucy was a Shipley has turned out to be false.
Scroll down to see sources.
Sources for Nancy Hanks
- 1 American Ancestors Magazine, 2016, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 55-57.
- 2 New England Ancestors Magazine, Winter 2003, Vol. 4.1, pp. 25-29, 55.
- 3 Hallstrom, Suzanne W., et. al., "Nancy Hanks Lincoln mtDNA Study: Unlocking the Secrets of Abraham Lincoln's Maternal Ancestry", (accessed 05/05/2020).
- 4 Jordan, Philip D., "The Death of Nancy Hanks Lincoln", Indiana Magazine of History, Vol. 40, No. 2 (June, 1944), pp. 103-110.
- 5 Roberts, Gary Boyd, comp., Ancestors of American Presidents, 2009 Edition, Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society (2009), 453.
- 6 Shipley, H. Burton and others, The Shipley's of Maryland: A Genealogical Study, Baltimore: Reese Press (1938), 36.
- 7 Warren, Louis A., "The Shipley Ancestry of Lincoln's Mother", Indiana Magazine of History, Vol. 29, No. 3 (September 1933), 206-207, 211.
- 8 Wikipedia, "Nancy Lincoln", (accessed 07/31/2011).